Monday, May 11, 2009

Obama the comedian


Highlights of President Barack Obama's speech from Saturday's White House Correspondents' Association dinner:

* "Good evening. Pause for laughter."

* “I’m Barack Obama. Most of you covered me. All of you voted for me.”

* "Sasha and Malia aren't here tonight because they're grounded. You can't just take Air Force One on a joyride to Manhattan. I don't care whose kids you are."

* About White House Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel: "He's not used to saying the word 'day' after 'mother.'"

* About chairman of Republican National Committee: "Michael Steele is in the house tonight. Or as he would say, 'In the heezy.' What's up?"

* "Michael for the last time, the Republican Party does not qualify for a bailout. Rush Limbaugh does not count as a troubled asset, I'm sorry."

* About former vice president Dick Cheney, who's writing a memoir "tentatively titled, 'How to Shoot Friends and Interrogate People.'"


* About former rival and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton: "These days, we could not be closer. In fact the second she got back from Mexico, she pulled me into a hug and gave me a big kiss, told me I better get down there myself."

There are plenty more:




The Twitter hash tags are #WHCD, #WHCA and, more appropriately, #nerdprom.